If you're trying to be more thoughtful than a generic iTunes gift card, learn how to "gift" an app to someone through your phone or iTunes... In order to gift apps using either of the following two methods, you must have your own Apple ID and the email address of the person you are sending the gift too.
Gift Apps Using an iOS Device
- On your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch, navigate to the App Store.
- Do a search for, or browse to the app you would like to gift to someone.
- On the app's information screen, swipe all the way to the bottom below the screenshots and tap "Gift This App".
- Your phone will prompt you to sign in to your Apple Account.
- After confirming that you selected the right app, you can enter in your name, the recipient's name and email address, and a personal message.
- A final preview of your app gift is displayed for approval - tap "Buy Gift" to complete the order.
Gift Apps Using iTunes
- On your computer, open up iTunes.
- Select iTunes Store from the left sidebar options.
- Do a search for, or browse to the app you would like to gift to someone (movies, TV shows and music can also be gifted).
- On the app's information screen, click the small arrow to the right of the price button (immediately under the app icon).
- Select "Gift This App". [Note the "Add to Wish List" - this is a list stored in your iTunes application of apps you want but aren't ready to buy!]
- Read the instructions on the next page and complete the form - note that you can have the gift emailed or you may print it yourself for in-person gift-giving.
- A final preview of your gift is displayed for approval - click "Buy Gift" to complete the order.
Just like any gift you give, there is no guarantee that the recipient doesn't already own the gift. Due to iTunes policies and procedures, there are no refunds if a person already owns an app and the recipient cannot exchange it for another app of equal value (at least at this time - maybe someday!). However, as the gift-giver, you may redeem the gift yourself or pass it to someone else via your iTunes account.